From "Hiller, Dean (Contractor)" <dean.hil...@broadridge.com>
Subject RE: any plans to deploy OSGi bundles on cluster?
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2011 18:30:35 GMT
I guess I meant in the setting for number of tasks in child JVM before
teardown.  In that case, it is nice to separate/unload my previous
classes from the child JVM which OSGi does.  I was thinking we may do 10
tasks / JVM setting which I thought meant have a "Child" process run 10
tasks before shutting down....4 may be from one job and 4 from a new job
with conflicting classes maybe.  Will that work or is it not advised?
Thanks,
Dean

-----Original Message-----
From: Allen Wittenauer [mailto:awittenauer@linkedin.com]
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2011 9:28 PM
To: <mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org>
Subject: Re: any plans to deploy OSGi bundles on cluster?

On Jan 2, 2011, at 9:51 AM, Hiller, Dean (Contractor) wrote:

> I was looking at distributed cache and how I need to copy local jars
> hdfs.  I was wondering if there was any plans to just deploy an OSGi
> bundle(ie. Introspect and auto deploy jars from bundle to the
> distributed cache and then make the api calls to deploy them to the
> slave nodes so there is no work for the developer to do except deploy
> OSGi bundles).

	AFAIK, no.

> Not to mention, the OSGi classloader mechanism is so sweet, that I
could
> deploy jar A to be used by all my jobs and also deploy jar B version 1
> and jar B version 2 which could be used at the same time by different
> jobs without classloading problems.

	Given that distributed caches are set per-job, this isn't a
problem with Hadoop either.  Each job's task gets its own JVM.  The only
time that I know of versioning being an issue is when one conflicts with
a bundled Hadoop jar.  [... and that problem is either fixed or will be
committed soon to trunk]
attachments from your system.