From Martin Becker <_martinbec...@web.de>
Subject Re: Passing messages
Date Sat, 18 Dec 2010 23:19:17 GMT
Hello Jason,

real time values are not required. Some lagging is tolerable. The
value/threshold communication is only needed to keep other reducers
from doing unnecessary work. Some upper bound would be nice to know,
though. A single reducer is not an option for my algorithm. That would
defeat the purpose of using MapReduce. I still would like to know, if
there is something more general than Counters. Using other data types
would be convenient. Even better would be, as mentioned, some kind of
simple message passing system. It seems that neither is supported by
Hadoop as of now?

Thank you,
Martin