From "Biedermann,S.,Fa. Post Direkt" <S.Biederm...@postdirekt.de>
Subject AW: Duplicated entries with map job reading from HBase
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2010 12:20:45 GMT
Hi Adam,

Is it possible that you have double entries in your old table (two entries for the same (column
family, column, timestamp) tuple)?

Sven

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Adam Phelps [mailto:amp@opendns.com]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 9. November 2010 01:30
An: mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org; user@hbase.apache.org
Betreff: Re: Duplicated entries with map job reading from HBase

Ok, poked around at this a little more with a few experiments.

The most interesting one is that I ran a a couple of the jobs that generate this data in HBase,
one for the existing table I had seen the problem on and one for a new table with the same
configuration as the old one.

When the analysis job is run reading from HBase the counts are only doubled against the older
table, using the new table as input produces the correct results.

When doing this I also noticed that when using the new table only a single mapper is created,
however for the old table two mappers are created (I checked and the data comes from only
a single region in either case).

So something is causing each hbase entry to be passed to a mapper twice on the older table,
but only once on the newer table.

Anyone have further thoughts on this?  I'm basically at the end of my ideas on figuring this
out.

- Adam

On 11/5/10 4:01 PM, Adam Phelps wrote:
> Yeah, it wasn't the combiner. The repeated entries are actually seen
> by the mapper, so before the combiner comes into play. Is there some
> other info that would be useful in getting clues as to what is causing this?
>
> - Adam
>
> On 11/5/10 11:35 AM, Adam Phelps wrote:
>> No, the system actually is much larger than two nodes. But the number
>> of mappers used here tends to be fairly small (I suspect based on the
>> HBase regions being accessed but usually more than two), I'll try
>> turning off the combiner to see if that changes anything.
>>
>> Thanks
>> - Adam
>>
>> On 11/5/10 9:23 AM, Niels Basjes wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I don't know the answer (simply not enough information in your
>>> email) but I'm willing to make a guess:
>>> You are running on a system with two processing nodes?
>>> If so then try removing the Combiner. The combiner is a performance
>>> optimization and the whole processing should work without it.
>>> Some times there is a design fault in the processing and the
>>> combiner disrupts the processing.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Niels Basjes
>>>
>>> 2010/11/5 Adam Phelps <amp@opendns.com <mailto:amp@opendns.com>>
>>>
>>> I've noticed an odd behavior with a map-reduce job I've written
>>> which is reading data out of an HBase table. After a couple days of
>>> poking at this I haven't been able to figure out the cause of the
>>> problem, so I figured I'd ask on here.
>>>
>>> (For reference I'm running with the cdh3b2 release)
>>>
>>> The problem is that it seems that every line from the HBase table is
>>> passed to the mappers twice, thus resulting in counts ending up as
>>> exactly double what they should be.
>>>
>>> I set up the job like this:
>>>
>>> Scan scan = new Scan();
>>> scan.addFamily(Bytes.toBytes(scanFamily));
>>>
>>> TableMapReduceUtil.initTableMapperJob(table,
>>> scan,
>>> mapper,
>>> Text.class,
>>> LongWritable.class,