From "Ratner, Alan S (IS)" <Alan.Rat...@ngc.com>
Subject Making optimum use of cores
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2010 13:47:47 GMT
I'm running Hadoop 0.20.2 on a cluster of servers running Ubuntu 10.4.
Each server has 2 quad-core Nehalem CPUs for a total of 8 physical cores
running as 16 virtual cores.  Ubuntu's System Monitor displays 16
squiggly lines showing usage of the 16 virtual cores.  We only seem to
be making use of one of the 16 virtual cores on any slave node and even
on the master node only one virtual core is significantly busy at a
time.  Is there a way to make better use of the cores?  Presumably I
could run Hadoop in a VM assigned to each virtual core but I would think
there must be a more elegant solution.

Alan Ratner