From Bhaskar Ghosh <bjgin...@yahoo.co.in>
Subject Re: How to create a composite value object for output from Map method
Date Wed, 22 Sep 2010 12:02:20 GMT
Chris / All,

Any idea why this is error-ing out?

________________________________
From: Bhaskar Ghosh <bjgindia@yahoo.co.in>
To: mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org
Sent: Tue, 21 September, 2010 12:08:21 AM
Subject: Re: How to create a composite value object for output from Map method

Hello All,

Thanks Chris for your suggestion and time.

I tried as you said. Now it is giving me runtime NullPointerException

java.lang.NullPointerException
>at org.apache.hadoop.io.ObjectWritable.readObject(ObjectWritable.java:183)
>at org.apache.hadoop.io.ObjectWritable.readFields(ObjectWritable.java:66)
>at
>MyWordCount_ObjVal1_2$MyCompositeValueWritable.readFields(MyWordCount_ObjVal1_2.java:99)
>
>at
>org.apache.hadoop.io.serializer.WritableSerialization$WritableDeserializer.deserialize(WritableSerialization.java:67)
>
>at
>org.apache.hadoop.io.serializer.WritableSerialization$WritableDeserializer.deserialize(WritableSerialization.java:40)
>
>at
>org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.ReduceContext.nextKeyValue(ReduceContext.java:116)
>at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.ReduceContext.nextKey(ReduceContext.java:92)
>at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Reducer.run(Reducer.java:175)
>at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.ReduceTask.runNewReducer(ReduceTask.java:566)
>at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.ReduceTask.run(ReduceTask.java:408)
>at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.Child.main(Child.java:170)

I just tried the map method where it tries to write the MyCompositeValueWritable
object as the value. I have commented out the reducer class. But still the error
has come inside MyCompositeValueWritable.readFields().

job.setMapperClass(TokenizerMapper.class);
>//commented out
>//    job.setCombinerClass(IntSumReducer.class);
>//     job.setReducerClass(IntSumReducer.class);

My map method looks like this:

public void map(Object key, Text value, Context context ) throws IOException,
InterruptedException {
>      StringTokenizer itr = new StringTokenizer(value.toString());
>      while (itr.hasMoreTokens()) {
>        word.set(itr.nextToken());
>        MyCompositeValueWritable compositeValue = new
>MyCompositeValueWritable();
>        compositeValue.addToList(localname);
>        compositeValue.setValue(1);
>        context.write (word, compositeValue);
>}
My readFields and write methods' source is below:

>ObjectWritable list = new ObjectWritable(String[].class,
>listOfString.toArray(new String[]{""}));
>list.readFields(in);
>value =  in.readInt();
>}
>

>public void write(DataOutput out) throws IOException {
>ObjectWritable list = new ObjectWritable(String[].class,
>listOfString.toArray(new String[]{""}));
>list.write(out);
>out.write(value);
>}

Has anybody faced similar issue? Appreciate any help.
Thanks
Bhaskar Ghosh
Hyderabad, India

http://www.google.com/profiles/bjgindia

"Ignorance is Bliss... Knowledge never brings Peace!!!"