From "Chinni, Ravi" <rchi...@syncsort.com>
Subject Setting the number of mappers to 0
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2010 20:07:12 GMT
I am trying to develop a MR application. Due to the kind of application
I am trying to develop, the mapper is a dummy (passes it's input to it's
output) task and I am only interested in having a partitioner and
reducer.

The MR framework allows us to set the number of reducers to 0. Is there
a way to set the number of mappers to 0? Basically, I want to avoid the
overhead of creating mapper tasks and calling the map function once per
record.

Is it feasibly to modify the MR framework so as not the create the
mapper tasks and have the partitioners read the input data from HDFS
directly?

Any pointers are appreciated.

Thanks,

Ravi Chinni

ATTENTION:

The information contained in this message (including any files transmitted
with this message) may contain proprietary, trade secret or other
confidential and/or legally privileged information. Any pricing
information contained in this message or in any files transmitted with
this message is always confidential and cannot be shared with any third
parties without prior written approval from Syncsort. This message is
intended to be read only by the individual or entity to whom it is
addressed or by their designee. If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, you are on notice that any use, disclosure, copying or
distribution of this message, in any form, is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender
and/or Syncsort and destroy all copies of this message in your possession,
custody or control.