From Sean Bigdatafun <sean.bigdata...@gmail.com>
Subject Does Xen, or any virtualization technology, help at all? -- I guess it's a scheduler related question
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2010 05:13:29 GMT
I am thinking of the following problem lately. I started thinking of this
problem in the following context.

I have a predefined budget and I can either
  -- A) purchase 8 more powerful servers (4cpu x 4 cores/cpu +  128GB mem +
16 x 1TB disk) or
  -- B) purchase 16 less powerful servers(2cpu x 4 cores/cpu +  64GB mem + 8
x 1TB disk)
          NOTE: I am basically making up a half housepower scenario
  -- Let's say I am going to use 10Gbps network switch and each machine has
a 10Gbps network card

In the above scenario, does A or B perform better or relatively same? -- I
guess this really depends on Hadoop's map/reduce's scheduler.

And then I have a following question: does it make sense to virtualize a
Hadoop datanode at all?  (if the answer to above question is "relatively
same", I'd say it does not make sense)

Thanks,
Sean