From Aaron Kimball <aa...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Memory intensive jobs and JVM reuse
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2010 15:52:39 GMT
* JVM reuse only applies within the same job. Different jobs are always
different JVMs
* JVM reuse is serial; you'll only get task B in a JVM after task A has
already completed -- never both at the same time. If you configure Hadoop to
run 4 tasks per TT concurrently, you'll still have 4 JVMs up.

There isn't an easy way to play tricks to get this large data structure of
yours to be shared between tasks or jobs, using Hadoop's own mechanisms.
 Instead, you need to look to an external system. e.g., populate memcached
with your hashmap ahead of time and have all your jobs query that. Or use a
BDB or TokyoCabinet or some other disk-backed key-value database and have
each task demand-load only the (k, v) pairs that are relevant to the
particular task.

- Aaron