From Eric Sammer <esam...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: How to debug reducer thread?
Date Wed, 28 Apr 2010 03:51:00 GMT
If you want to step through a full map / reduce job, the easiest way
to do this is to run a job using the local job runner in your IDE. The
local job runner will run the MR job in a single thread making it very
easy to debug. You will want to use the local file system and a small
amount of data during this type of testing / debugging. Note that the
local job runner runs map tasks, sort and shuffle, and reducers
sequentially with no parallelism.

Set the following properties to enable the local job runner and local
file system:

mapred.job.tracker = local
fs.default.name = file:///

Attempting to attach a debugger to a real task tracker is problematic
because user code is run in separate jvms, etc. It's almost never
worth it. Most debugging (with a real debugger) is better done using
MRUnit and the local job runner.

Hope this helps and good luck.

--
Eric Sammer