From Zheng Shao <zs...@facebook.com>
Subject FileInputFormat to support multi-level/recursive directory listing
Date Mon, 22 Feb 2010 19:19:29 GMT
As we have seen multiple times in the mailing list, users want to have the capability of getting
all files out of a multi-level directory structure.

4/1/2008: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-core-user/200804.mbox/%3Ce75c02ef0804011433x144813e6x2450da7883de3aca@mail.gmail.com%3E
2/3/2009: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-core-user/200902.mbox/%3C7F80089C-3E7F-4330-90BA-6F1C5B0B0F3F@nist.gov%3E
6/2/2009: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-common-user/200906.mbox/%3C4A258A16.8050300@darose.net%3E

One solution that our users had is to write a new FileInputFormat, but that means all existing
FileInputFormat subclasses need to be changed in order to support this feature.
We can easily provide a JobConf option (which defaults to false) to FileInputFormat.listStatus(...)
to recursively go into directory structure.

See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-1501 for details.
I cced several people who were involved in the earlier discussions. Can somebody help review
the patch?

Zheng