From Stephen Watt <sw...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: How do I sum by Key in the Reduce Phase AND keep the initial value
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2010 20:54:03 GMT
Thanks for responding Amogh.

I'm using Hadoop 0.20.1 and see by the JIRA you mentioned its resolved in
0.21. Bummer...  I've thought about the same thing you mentioned however,
its my understanding that keeping those values or records in memory is
dangerous as you can run out of memory depending on how many values you
have (and I have a big dataset).  Really, what I am trying to understand
here is the Map Reduce Pattern for solving this type of problem. I think
until we have a reduce values iterator we can move through more than once,
I believe the pattern would be:

1) Have the first job simply store the key and the sum value
2) By using the same keys, one would have the second job append the value
from the first job to each record in the reducer. This would be achieved
by FIRST going to the HDFS and looking up the value for the key from the
first job and then iterating through the values for all the keys on the
second job and appending the sum value to each record.

Kind regards
Steve Watt