From Pallavi Palleti <pallavi.pall...@corp.aol.com>
Subject Query over efficient utilization of cluster using fair scheduling
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2010 05:05:45 GMT
Hi all,

I am experimenting with fair scheduler in a cluster of 10 machines. The
users are given default values("0") for minMaps and minReduces in fair
scheduler parameters. When I tried to run two jobs using the same
username, the fair scheduler is giving 100% fair share to first
job(needs 2 mappers) and the second job(needs10 mappers) is in waiting
mode though the cluster is totally idle. Allowing these jobs to run
simultaneously would take only 10% of total available mappers. However,
the second job is not allowed to run till the first job is over. It
would be great if some one can suggest some parameter tuning which can
allow efficient utilization of cluster. Efficient I mean, allowing jobs
to run when the cluster is idle rather letting them in waiting mode. I
am not sure whether setting "minMaps, minReduces" for each user would
resolve the issue. Kindly clarify.

Thanks
Pallavi