From Ed Mazur <ma...@cs.umass.edu>
Subject Re: Outputs to stdout and stderr not visible
Date Tue, 08 Dec 2009 18:45:05 GMT
Not sure why the stdout/stderr files in $HADOOP_LOG_DIR/userlogs/xxx
would be empty, but an alternative that I use is the log4j framework
used by Hadoop. You can instantiate it like this:

private static final Log LOG = LogFactory.getLog(YourClass.class);

And then use it like this:

LOG.info("...");
LOG.debug("...");
etc.

If you use this in your map/reduce class, the messages will be in the
logs of individual tasks.

Ed