From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: DefaultCodec vs. LZO
Date Mon, 26 Oct 2009 17:33:24 GMT
On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Hong Tang <htang@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> You mean this:
> http://code.google.com/p/hadoop-gpl-compression/issues/detail?id=17?

That and I think a couple others Kevin has found - I'll let him jump in with
details.

> Based on the description, the bug affects LzopCompressor, and should have
> no impact on the packaging part, right?

Right, but I didn't want to have to maintain patches in both places as I fix
bugs, etc. So keeping it external is handy.

External packaging repositories are also somewhat the norm in debian world -
the only source trees that are supposed to have their own debian/ directory
are so-called "Debian native" packages, where the version number and the
debian release are one and the same (eg debian system scripts, etc)

-Todd