From Christian Kirschbaum <christian.kirschb...@vionto.com>
Subject Task process exit with nonzero status of 134
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2009 09:15:26 GMT
Hi all,

we're using Hadoop 0.19.1 and have recently encountered the following
erratic problem when running jobs involving UIMA text annotation chains
(which fail frequently because of this):

java.io.IOException: Task process exit with nonzero status of 134.
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskRunner.run(TaskRunner.java:425)

As you can see, this is propagated in Hadoop code, without the actual
MapReduce job being able to react to it. Unfortunately, this exception
message isn't very descriptive as to the actual cause which I have yet
to track down.

All I found out is that this status code apparently is an exit code of a
separate process initiated through
org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell.ShellCommandExecutor in the
runChild(JvmEnv) method of org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JvmManager. And
because it is exit code 134 (128 + 6), supposedly signal 6 (ABORT) has
effected the process termination which may indicate a core dump?

How do I find out more about the actual cause? Is there any secret
logfile for the separately spawned Jvm process? I've looked through
various logs and userlogs directories but could not find any mention of
this exception there.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

--
Christian Kirschbaum
Software Developer

fon   +49 30 40 20 329 - 27
fax   +49 30 40 20 329 - 01
web   http://www.vionto.com
Geschäftsführer: Ralf von Grafenstein, Dr. Martin Hirsch
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin
Amtsgericht Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 108154B