From Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com>
Subject RE: More than one RM in YARN?
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 18:04:18 GMT
Sorry about that. There is some code in the RM that's supposed to be used
to save state but its not used. So neither state preserving restart works
nor failover.

I have been guilty of being tardy on this project but I hope to be working
on the restart piece fairly soon. Please do watch MAPREDUCE-4326 (this
should soon move to the YARN sub-project) for details.

Bikas

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Riccomini [mailto:criccomini@linkedin.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 10:21 AM
To: mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: More than one RM in YARN?

Hey Bikas,

Correct.

Initially, I'd hoped that NMs failed over to appropriate RMs via ZK
notifications. When that didn't seem to be implemented, I hoped that RMs,
at least kept in sync with each other via ZK, so that I could use a round
robin DNS (or HW load balancer) for the RMs. When that didn't seem to be
implemented, I decided to just use DNS and a manual failover.

Simple is best, I suppose.

Cheers,
Chris