Thanks for the response folks!

I am following the link http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToContribute but looks like I am missing something.
I am in the following directory hadoop\release-1.0.2-rc2\src (attached screenshot) and have been able to build the protocol buffer.
I am using cygwin and trying to build the mapreduce from command line. (don't know whether to use ant or maven)

Obviously I might be missing something here. Any pointers please let me know.
I will try to poke around more on this link later.

-Sandeep