From Mahadev Konar <maha...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: MapReduce and MPI
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2011 19:30:49 GMT
Ralph,
 I think there is a lot of interest in MPI over Hadoop. If you are
counting votes here's my +1.

mahadev

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 3:31 AM, Ralph Castain <rhc@open-mpi.org> wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I'm a lead developer on the Open MPI project, and recently joined the Hadoop community
to help with Hamster. A couple of people have asked me about using MPI more generally inside
MapReduce, and it does indeed seem a good candidate to use that method of communication.

> It seems to me, though, that a pre-requisite for moving that direction is a good set
of Java MPI bindings. I've checked with the MPI community, and while there have been a couple
of attempts at this, nothing really "adopted" by the community has been done.

> I have some spare time while I search for a new job, so I thought I might tackle this
over the next few weeks. However, I thought I would assess the actual level of interest before
investing the time - it isn't a trivial thing to do, but doable if there is interest.