From Ralph Castain <...@open-mpi.org>
Subject MapReduce and MPI
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2011 11:31:44 GMT
Hi folks

I'm a lead developer on the Open MPI project, and recently joined the Hadoop community to
help with Hamster. A couple of people have asked me about using MPI more generally inside
MapReduce, and it does indeed seem a good candidate to use that method of communication.

It seems to me, though, that a pre-requisite for moving that direction is a good set of Java
MPI bindings. I've checked with the MPI community, and while there have been a couple of attempts
at this, nothing really "adopted" by the community has been done.

I have some spare time while I search for a new job, so I thought I might tackle this over
the next few weeks. However, I thought I would assess the actual level of interest before
investing the time - it isn't a trivial thing to do, but doable if there is interest.

Thanks
Ralph