From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Hello Fellow members!!
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2011 02:36:00 GMT
Deepak,

 Welcome to Hadoop!

 Apache Hadoop is volunteer driven, so we are excited to have folks join us.

 Hadoop (core) has two main components: Storage (HDFS) and processing (MapReduce).

 You can choose to contribute to either or both depending on your interest.

 Currently, in MapReduce, we are working on what we call 'NextGen Hadoop MapReduce' to scale
better and support other paradigms than MapReduce.

 If that interests you, here are some links:
 Original JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-279
 Architecture doc. (slightly dated): MapReduce_NextGen_Architecture.pdf
 Docs for setting up cluster for dev: http://people.apache.org/~acmurthy/yarn/SingleCluster.html
 Writing new apps (usually non-MR): http://people.apache.org/~acmurthy/yarn/WritingYarnApplications.html

 Usually, the best way to learn the system is to start by documenting it while you start to
understand it. This way you quickly ramp up your contributions to the project while helping
others.
 The above links from my homepage are generated from docs which are checked-in to the project.
You are welcome enhance them or add new ones. (They should be replaced by docs on the hadoop.apache.org
site once we make a release out of hadoop-0.23, I'm hosting them as an interim)

 Then, of course, you can look at open jiras:
 http://s.apache.org/mrv2-open-jiras

 Good luck!

Arun