From Robert Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Research projects for hadoop
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2011 17:30:37 GMT
The biggest issue with Xen and other virtualization technologies is that often there is an
IO penalty involved with using them.  For many jobs this is not an acceptable trade off.
I do know, however, that there has been some discussion about using Linux Containers for isolation
of Map/Reduce processes.  I don't know if any JIRA has been filed for it or not, but they
are much lighter weight then Xen and other virtualization tech, because all it really is concerned
with is resource isolation, and not virtualizing an entire operating system.

--Bobby Evans