From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Regarding 'branch-0.20-security'
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2011 15:36:32 GMT
On 28/09/11 15:25, Robert Evans wrote:
> It is kind of a long history and I will try to leave out all of the politics involved
to make it shorter.  For a long time 0.20 has been the stable release of Hadoop.  It is supposedly
in sustaining releases now, but many new features keep going in because that is what most
people use in production and they do not want to wait several years for a new interesting
feature.  One of the very big features that went in is security.  There was a separate branch
created for it which is branch-0.20-security.  Branch-0.20-security has essentially replaced
branch-0.20 as the 0.20 release branch.  All features that go into branch-0.20-security or
any other release branch are also supposed to go into trunk first, if they are not specific
to branch-0.20-security.  So in theory everything in any release has also been applied to
trunk.

That said. the new MR engine in 0.23 means that changes to the mapreduce
classes can't be backported from trunk to 0.20.x. Changes there should
go into 0.22 and then into 0.20-security