From Shai Erera <ser...@gmail.com>
Subject Bug with MiniDFSCluster on IBM JVM
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 04:00:59 GMT
Hi

I've been trying to embed MiniDFSCluster into my unit tests for a long time,
always giving up because it always failed, until yesterday I gave it another
try and accidentally ran the simple test (below) with an Oracle JVM (my
default is IBM's), and it passed !

I've done some investigation, and I believe I found the cause of the bug:

*Test*

public void testSimpleDFSCluster() throws Exception {
  MiniDFSCluster dfsCluster = new MiniDFSCluster(conf, 2, true, null);

  FileSystem fs = dfsCluster.getFileSystem();
  Path f = fs.makeQualified(new Path("out"));
  System.err.println("\n\n********  " + f);
  FSDataOutputStream out = fs.create(f);
  out.writeUTF("something");
  out.close();

  FSDataInputStream in = fs.open(f);
  System.err.println("********  " + in.readUTF());
  in.close();
}

The test is very simple: start a DFS cluster, write some text to a file and
attempt to read it back. I run on Windows 7 64-bit, w/ hadoop-0.20.2.jar. If
I execute the test with IBM JVM 1.6 64-bit, it fails with the exceptions
below. If I execute it w/ Oracle's 1.6, it passes. If I run the test on a
Linux machine w/ IBM JVM, it passes too.

*Exception
*INFO: PacketResponder blk_-2858095604616251978_1001 0 Exception
java.io.IOException: could not move files for blk_-2858095604616251978_1001
from tmp to
D:\dev\ilel\BigIndex\build\test\data\dfs\data\data1\current\blk_-2858095604616251978
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.FSDataset$FSDir.addBlock(FSDataset.java:104)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.FSDataset$FSDir.addBlock(FSDataset.java:92)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.FSDataset$FSVolume.addBlock(FSDataset.java:417)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.FSDataset.finalizeBlock(FSDataset.java:1163)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.BlockReceiver$PacketResponder.lastDataNodeRun(BlockReceiver.java:804)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.BlockReceiver$PacketResponder.run(BlockReceiver.java:846)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:736)

and

WARNING: DFSOutputStream ResponseProcessor exception  for block
blk_-2858095604616251978_1001java.io.EOFException
    at java.io.DataInputStream.readFully(DataInputStream.java:191)
    at java.io.DataInputStream.readLong(DataInputStream.java:410)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocol.DataTransferProtocol$PipelineAck.readFields(DataTransferProtocol.java:119)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DFSClient$DFSOutputStream$ResponseProcessor.run(DFSClient.java:2424)

The 1st exception is thrown from FSDataset, after a call to
metaData.renameTo which returns false. I put a break point just before the
call to renameTo, and ran a utility which lists open file handles on some
file. With the IBM JVM, I see that the java program keeps an open file
handle to blk_-2858095604616251978_1001.meta, while when running with the
Oracle JVM it doesn't.

So I guess that's the reason why renameTo fails. On Linux w/ the same JVM it
succeeds because you can move a file even if someone has an open handle on
it. I also guess that's the cause for the second exception.

Digging a litter deeper, I found the cause of the problem, to be in
FSDataSet.createBlockWriterStreams, line 779:

return new BlockWriteStreams(new FileOutputStream(new RandomAccessFile( f ,
"rw" ).getFD()),
          new FileOutputStream( new RandomAccessFile( metafile , "rw"
).getFD() ));

BlockWriterStreams is given two FileOutputStreams, each are initialized with
a FileDescriptor returned from a RandomAccessFile. In the IBM JVM, the FD's
ref count is increased in FileOutputStream ctor, while in Oracle's it isn't.
Therefore, when you call close() on the output stream, it doesn't really
close the stream, because the FileDescriptor has another reference (from
RandomAccessFile).

>From FileOutputStream.<init>(FileDescriptor) javadocs:

"Creates an output file stream to write to the specified file
 descriptor, which represents an *existing* connection to an actual
 file in the file system."

I think that the Oracle implementation is buggy, because if you pass a FD to
FileOutputStream, and then close it (e.g. by closing RAF), attempts to write
to the FileOutputStream will fail.

Here's a simple program that reproduces the bug, outside of Hadoop context:

  File f = new File("check_close");

  RandomAccessFile raf = new RandomAccessFile(f, "rw");
  FileOutputStream out = null;
    try {
      out = new FileOutputStream(raf.getFD());
    } finally {
      raf.close();
    }
  out.write((byte) 1);
  out.close();

  System.out.println(f.delete());
}

if you inline the new RAF() call (therefore avoid its close()), the programs
prints 'false' (on Windows), and if you close it (like I did above), it
prints true.

BTW, running the above program on Oracle's JVM yields this:

Exception in thread "main" java.io.IOException: Write error
    at java.io.FileOutputStream.write(Native Method)

I believe FSDataSet.createBlockWriterStreams should be fixed like that as
well.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Shai