From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: trouble building MR-279 branch
Date Sun, 03 Jul 2011 19:16:12 GMT
Jim,

On Jul 1, 2011, at 2:23 PM, Jim Falgout wrote:

> On another note: do you know of any design docs for building an application executor
using the new resource manager? Just wondering how to get started?

Jim, we are in the process of doing a better job with docs etc.

Sharad just gave a talk on writing a new AM at the Hadoop Core Contributor Meeting on 7/1...

Sharad - could you upload your slides?

thanks,
Arun

I actually used 2.4.1 and it worked

>    install the protoc executable (configure, make, make install)
>    install the maven artifact (cd java; mvn install)
>
> Installing protoc requires gcc 4.1.x or higher (RHEL5).
>
> If the make step fails with (Valid until a fix is released for protobuf 2.4.0a) ./google/protobuf/descriptor.h:1152:
error: `google::protobuf::internal::Mutex*google::protobuf::DescriptorPool::mutex_' is private
Replace descriptor.cc with http://protobuf.googlecode.com/svn-history/r380/trunk/src/google/protobuf/descriptor.cc

> Setup environment
>
> export MAVEN_OPTS=-Xmx512m
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
>
> Checkout the MR-279 branch
> svn checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/branches/MR-279
>
> Build common
>
> cd MR-279/common
> ant veryclean mvn-install tar
>
> Build hdfs
>
> cd ../hdfs
> ant veryclean mvn-install -Dresolvers=internal tar
>
> Build yarn
>
> cd ../mapreduce
> mvn clean install assembly:assembly
> # If tests are failing, add this option to skip them: -Dmaven.test.skip.exec=true # NOTE:
in order to build on a Mac, you must also include the <code>-P-cbuild</code> option
# (e.g. <code>mvn clean install assembly:assembly -P-cbuild -Dmaven.test.skip.exec=true</code>)
> ant veryclean jar jar-test tar -Dresolvers=internal

around that may give some hints?

> The build is unable to resolve the yarn-server even though I ran a "mvn-install" in the
yarn source area to install it in the local repository.