From Arun C Murthy <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Quincy Fair Scheduler Vs Hadoop Fair Scheduler
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2011 19:23:01 GMT
Venu,

On Jun 17, 2011, at 7:16 PM, Venu Gopala Rao wrote:

> Does these problems get solved in the 0.21 or Next Gen Map Reduce?

The CapacityScheduler in both 0.20.203 and NextGen MR have
significantly better scheduling for locality including a highly
modified 'delay scheduling' algorithm Matei mentioned in his reply.

The highlights are (via MAPREDUCE-517 for 0.20.203 - http://tinyurl.com/6e9qlun
  )

# The CS tracks 'number of scheduling opportunities' missed by a job
and gets jobs to use that to prevent starvation. AFAIK the
FairScheduler uses 'time' rather than 'scheduling opportunities'.
# I've also added 'pace' to the back-off by getting ensuring jobs do
not back-off as aggressively as they make progress. At the end of a
job, i.e. last 10 tasks of a job with 100k tasks,  latency is more
important than perfect data-locality.
# The implementation also gets small jobs to 'delay' less vis-a-vis
larger jobs by weighing the size of job.
# The implementation also ensures jobs with no locality requirements,
e.g. sleep-job/randomwriter, do not have any 'delay'  since it doesn't
make sense at all.

Since we deployed the new CS (via 0.20.203) we've seen >100%
improvement for locality of jobs in our production clusters.

The NextGen MR CapacityScheduler has a very similar implementation to
the one described above.

hth,
Arun