From Arun C Murthy <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Mapreduce: scheduling and task placement work
Date Tue, 16 Nov 2010 17:51:08 GMT
Abhishek,

  Welcome.

  There isn't a concerted effort afaik, given the complexity of the
task at hand - as I'm sure you will appreciate.

  There are several pieces slowly falling in place:
  # The CapacityScheduler (CS) already allows for memory-based
scheduling (i.e. support for 'High RAM' jobs). This is a subtle
change, rather than look at abstract 'slots' the CS looks at every
machine as being made up of real memory slots.
  # The TaskTracker in trunk (hadoop-0.22) already reports per task
CPU, memory usage.

  Clearly it will take some effort to move from here to truly dynamic
slot-less scheduling, since the notion of slots is fairly deeply
entrenched in the framework (JobTracker, TaskTracker etc.).

  Of course, I don't mean to discourage you!

  Feel free to start opening jiras and jotting your thoughts down,
make some proposals and get involved!

Arun