From Gordon Sommers <gordon.somm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Need Sample map reduce program
Date Fri, 18 Jun 2010 14:34:12 GMT
Here's the three best online resources, which mostly do things iin Java but
have lots of useful info, regardless of which API you use:
- hadoop.apache.org: http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/index.html
 <http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/index.html>- Yahoo! Dev Net:
http://developer.yahoo.com/hadoop/tutorial/
<http://developer.yahoo.com/hadoop/tutorial/>- Cloudera (really good video
lectures, probably the best place to start):
http://www.cloudera.com/resources/?type=Training

Here's some small tutorials that have sample code:
- (Using C++ Pipes API) http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/C%2B%2BWordCount
 <http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/C%2B%2BWordCount>- (Using Streaming API and
python)
http://www.michael-noll.com/wiki/Writing_An_Hadoop_MapReduce_Program_In_Python
<http://www.michael-noll.com/wiki/Writing_An_Hadoop_MapReduce_Program_In_Python>-
(Using Java I think, with some of the more advanced features)
http://codedemigod.com/blog/?p=120

If all you want is code, I'd look at the samples on the three sites i gave
at the top. I'd look at the java one in the second list once you've written
a Word Count or something simple. If you plan to use Streams or Pipes the
other two links should be helpful. The book, Hadoop: The definitive guide by
Tom White also has some good examples, especially in the beginning, and a
lot of good details for once you start doing more advanced things.

<http://www.cloudera.com/resources/?type=Training>Hope you enjoy Hadoop!

- Gordon