From Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Map-Balance-Reduce draft
Date Tue, 09 Feb 2010 01:22:54 GMT
Jian,

Sorry if any of my questions or comments would have been answered by
the diagrams, but apache lists don't allow attachments, so I can't see
your diagrams.

If I understand correctly, your suggestion for balancing is to apply
reduce on subsets of the hashed data, and then run reduce again on
this reduced data set.  Is that correct?  If so, how does this differ
from the combiner?  Second, some aggregation operations truly aren't
algebraic (that is, they cannot be distributed across multiple
iterations of reduce).   An example of this is session analysis, where
the algorithm truly needs to see all operations together to analyze
the user session.  How do you propose to handle that case?

Alan.