From Chris K Wensel <ch...@wensel.net>
Subject Re: InterruptedException
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:06:06 GMT
> I draw your attention to this bit of startup code in JobTracker
>
>    try {
>        Thread.sleep(FS_ACCESS_RETRY_PERIOD);
>      } catch (InterruptedException e) {
>        throw new IOException("Interrupted during system directory
> cleanup ",
>                e);
>      }
> A few lines later, an InterruptedException is thrown directly, so
> the code isn't being consistent.
>
> -should everything at startup/shutdown time throw
> InterruptedExceptions if interrupted? It would make sense, though
> you have to deal with issues like Jetty, in its startup sleeps, has
> code that wraps up its exceptions too:
>
>    } catch (Exception e) {
>      throw new IOException("Problem starting http server", e);
>    }
>
> -we'd need to catch the jetty exception and look for a nested
> interrupt, throw it. Ouch.

Thanks Steve for taking the time to explain this.

I guess my original email was in reference to the
TaskInputOutputContext, RecordWriter, and RecordReader classes.

for example,

The only implementation I see of RecordWriter#write() that declares
and actually throws an InterruptedException is the ChainRecordWriter
because the outputQueue is a BlockingQueue.

I just found it odd that it looked like this one class caused
InterruptedException to leak up through the new Mapper/Reducer APIs.
and looks as if it just gets eaten in Child.

cheers,
chris

--
Chris K Wensel