From Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: InterruptedException
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2009 18:54:55 GMT

On Aug 26, 2009, at 8:15 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:

> I havent' seen those. As owen says, swallowing interruptions is
> naughty, I don't know what the hadoop-wide policy is on processing
> them; something to look at.

It is currently broken. Currently the biggest breakage is the RPC
layer that swallows them in a really evil way. We need to fix that,
but it is a big job. In particular, all of the methods in all of the
protocols need to have InterruptedExceptions added to their
signatures. That is pretty painful.

The requirement is that in all cases, threads that are interrupted
should exit quickly. We've found many of the problems by livelocks in
the mini-mr and mini-hdfs based test cases, but really someone should
take a sweep through and fix them all.

-- Owen