From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: InterruptedException
Date Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:09:10 GMT
Owen O'Malley wrote:

> On Aug 26, 2009, at 8:15 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:
>>
>> I havent' seen those. As owen says, swallowing interruptions is
>> naughty, I don't know what the hadoop-wide policy is on processing
>> them; something to look at.
>
> It is currently broken. Currently the biggest breakage is the RPC layer
> that swallows them in a really evil way. We need to fix that, but it is
> a big job. In particular, all of the methods in all of the protocols
> need to have InterruptedExceptions added to their signatures. That is
> pretty painful.
>
> The requirement is that in all cases, threads that are interrupted
> should exit quickly. We've found many of the problems by livelocks in
> the mini-mr and mini-hdfs based test cases, but really someone should
> take a sweep through and fix them all.
>
> -- Owen

here are the ones that surface at startup

It would be good to go through these and handle interrupts, because
those operations aren't used outside the various service startup methods
and some tests -very limited locations. Once everything that sleeps
during startup can be interrupted, it becomes possible to interrupt
service startups -though then you are left with a new problem, that of
shutting down an incompletely started service.

-steve