hadoop-hive-dev mailing list archives

From John Sichi <jsi...@facebook.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Move to become a TLP
Date Sun, 22 Aug 2010 03:01:38 GMT
1) Some of the infrastructure and process transitions necessary to migrate from sub-project
to TLP may be disruptive to development projects which overlap with them.  We'll do our best
to minimize this via clear up-front communication.

2) The new Hive project management committee (PMC) will take on some activities currently
handled within the Hadoop PMC, which may add a bit of overhead.  We don't expect these to
be burdensome, and in some cases owning them should allow us to expedite processes (e.g. in
the case of adding new committers).

3) I'm not sure to what degree having Hive become a TLP gives it less influence over Hadoop;
others who know more can probably chime in on that.

JVS

On Aug 20, 2010, at 2:33 PM, Venky Iyer wrote:

> I'm not qualified to vote on this, but as a fan and user I'm curious to hear what, if
any, disadvantages there are of becoming a TLP.

> On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 13:20:39 -0700, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am +1 as well.
>>

>> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Ashish Thusoo <athusoo@facebook.com> wrote:
>>> Thanks everyone who voted. Looks like this is unanimous at this point. I will
start the proceedings in the Hadoop PMC to make Hive a TLP.