hadoop-hive-dev mailing list archives

From John Sichi <jsi...@facebook.com>
Subject Re: Question about hive locking
Date Fri, 13 Aug 2010 19:06:08 GMT
On Aug 13, 2010, at 10:19 AM, Pradeep Kamath wrote:

> Hi,
>  Reading through http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/Locking, it appears that locking
will be implemented using Zookeeper in the Query language - just wanted to confirm that the
metastore APIs are not being modified and that there is no information about existing locks
in the metastore - is this correct? If so, won't a thrift API call circumvent existing locks
and gain read/write access? Did I miss something?

That's correct.  The locking is all from the Hive client side.  We want the locks to be released
automatically if a client dies, and doing it from within the metastore thrift server wouldn't
give us that.

You can also circumvent the locks by going directly to HDFS through any non-Hive means...we
can't stop that.

JVS