hadoop-hive-dev mailing list archives

From Bennie Schut <bsc...@ebuddy.com>
Subject RE: Append data by insert command
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2010 13:50:35 GMT
Hi Jaydeep,

Currently the only thing you can do is overwrite.
This sounds worse then it is since there is a workaround which is probably used by most people.
You can partition by some kind of dummy key and simple overwrite into a new partition leaving
the rest of the data in other partitions in tact.

something like this:

create table test (
  test_id     bigint
, testline        string
) PARTITIONED BY (appendkey_id INT)

INSERT OVERWRITE TABLE test partition(appendkey_id=1)
SELECT test_id, testline
FROM test_load

Just make sure the "appendkey_id=1" will have a unique value each time. We for instance use
a timestamp for it.
If the table is really small you can do a union with the original table to combine old+new
table and still use the overwrite.

Having all of this hidden from the user would be nice though :)

Bennie.