hadoop-hive-dev mailing list archives

From John Sichi <jsi...@facebook.com>
Subject JDO upgrade issue with HIVE-1176
Date Fri, 25 Jun 2010 02:01:03 GMT
Hi all,

Yesterday I committed Arvind's patch for HIVE-1176, which includes an upgrade from datanucleus
1.x to 2.x.

The patch works fine against a clean checkout, but just now Paul Yang and I noticed a couple
of problems introduced due to a change in the way column names are generated by datanucleus
when no name is specified in the JDO mapping (which is the case for some of ours such as "isCompressed").
 This is a heads-up for people who happen to pull from latest trunk.

The problems only occur when running against an existing metastore, for example if you run
trunk/build/dist/bin/hive against a new build in an existing sandbox (where a Derby embedded
metastore had previously been created), or if you deploy against an existing production metastore
DB.

In a developer sandbox, the default configuration tries to auto-update the schema to add the
new column names, and hits an error due to the way the Derby ALTER TABLE statement is generated.
 If you hit this, a workaround is to delete your trunk/metastore_db directory so that a fresh
schema will be recreated instead.  Or just move to a fresh checkout.

Paul is taking a look at the column name generation to see if we can get it to match the datanucleus
1.x behavior.

JVS