hadoop-hive-dev mailing list archives

From Carl Steinbach <c...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: FW: Connect to Hive from Windows via ODBC?
Date Tue, 08 Dec 2009 21:28:17 GMT
I did some digging and found this thread on the unixODBC support list:
http://mailman.unixodbc.org/pipermail/unixodbc-support/2008-June/001779.html

The important part comes at the end:

If you are happy to code to the ODBC API (and there is no reason why
not, thats what its for), then if you just include the odbc headers
sql.h, sqlext.h and so on, you can just use ODBC on windows linking to
the native driver manager (odbc32.dll), then you can write code that
builds and works just the same on Windows and *nix platforms. That was
one of the initial goals of unixODBC.

So it sounds like it is possible to write an ODBC driver that is compatible
with both unixODBC and the windows ODBC manager, and potentially the current
driver fits that bill. If so, the other problem that currently blocks
getting this to run on Windows is the lack of a Thrift C++ runtime. There is
a JIRA for that issue (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-591) as
well as a patch, but it has not yet been committed.

Carl

me digging and found this th