hadoop-hive-dev mailing list archives

From Raghu Murthy <rmur...@facebook.com>
Subject Make UD(A)F Serializable
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2009 21:51:28 GMT
I have a use case (hbase_put) where I need the udf/udaf to get some
information for its configuration ($HBASE_HOME/conf) at compile-time and use
it at run-time. Currently, the only way to do this is to provide information
to the udf at runtime. So, I have to do 'ADD JAR /path/to/hbase/conf' before
running a query with hbase_put.

Does it make sense to make the udf/udaf serializable? Then, at compile time
initialize() will set some appropriate variables in the udf, which will get
serialized. These variables will then be available at runtime.

raghu