hadoop-hive-dev mailing list archives

From Ashish Thusoo <athu...@facebook.com>
Subject RE: vote for a release candidate
Date Mon, 14 Sep 2009 18:39:18 GMT
Clearly with the fix it is still dangerous for them to use LOAD INTO unless they understand
the consistency implications or have put work arounds to address some reader crashes. I agree
though that since this is a regression, we should get the functionality to what it was in
0.3

Ashish

-----Original Message-----
From: Todd Lipcon [mailto:todd@cloudera.com]
Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2009 3:45 PM
To: hive-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: vote for a release candidate

Hi Namit,
Yes, we have customers who are using LOAD INTO without OVERWRITE. The use case is for collecting
session data into a table partitioned by the hour of session start time. Since sessions are
of varying lengths, incremental loads are necessary as sessions finish up.

There are a couple of possible workarounds, but all of them have drawbacks.

-Todd