hadoop-hive-dev mailing list archives

From Min Zhou <coderp...@gmail.com>
Subject Some wish after serious consideration
Date Thu, 09 Jul 2009 06:14:00 GMT
Hi all,
Having focused on hive for several month, here is some wish of me after
serious consideration

   1. All auto-gen code for hive was under the facebook commercial version
   of thrift, which is older than the open source one, would lead to lots of
   compatible problems and stop from all helps from the open source community.
   We need to remove  them as soon as possible, but it seems the progress on
   this issue has stopped.
   2. Please give us a clear roadmap. We also have a plan improving hive,
   but our patches would probably be uncared-for, because it's not on the
   schedule of facebook. If  go on like this, there should be a lot of
   compatible problems brought by other commits, we were surfing from fixing
   conflicts again and again.
   3. Please don't commit code so rashly. Code from Ashish could easily be
   committed by others without a strict  examination, that caused a lot of
   problems when using it here, bugs and incondite code hard to read and to
   extend it. Perhaps the main reason is that Ashish is the leader of Hive.
   Another person, Namit, always committed buggy or ugly code.  I have a
   suggestion,  just more discussion and tests with the helps of open source
   community. Code quality would be raised if so. (I don't intend to in the
   personal attacks here)

Regards,
Min
bytecode based virtual machine.