hadoop-hive-dev mailing list archives

From He Yongqiang <heyongqi...@software.ict.ac.cn>
Subject Re: Some wish after serious consideration
Date Thu, 09 Jul 2009 06:43:19 GMT
On 09-7-9 下午2:14, "Min Zhou" <coderplay@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Having focused on hive for several month, here is some wish of me after
> serious consideration
>
>    1. All auto-gen code for hive was under the facebook commercial version
>    of thrift, which is older than the open source one, would lead to lots of
>    compatible problems and stop from all helps from the open source community.
>    We need to remove  them as soon as possible, but it seems the progress on
>    this issue has stopped.

See Hive-438. I think it will be committed by this weekend?

>    2. Please give us a clear roadmap. We also have a plan improving hive,
>    but our patches would probably be uncared-for, because it's not on the
>    schedule of facebook. If  go on like this, there should be a lot of
>    compatible problems brought by other commits, we were surfing from fixing
>    conflicts again and again.

I think the hive roadmap on hive wiki page has just been updated.
Please send out request for code review if you think the patch is ready.
But I think no conflicts can be guaranteed, since conflicts are not raised
by one patch. If no conflict appears to this patch, then there will be
conflicts for other patches.

>    3. Please don't commit code so rashly. Code from Ashish could easily be
>    committed by others without a strict  examination, that caused a lot of
>    problems when using it here, bugs and incondite code hard to read and to
>    extend it. Perhaps the main reason is that Ashish is the leader of Hive.
>    Another person, Namit, always committed buggy or ugly code.  I have a
>    suggestion,  just more discussion and tests with the helps of open source
>    community. Code quality would be raised if so. (I don't intend to in the
>    personal attacks here)

Code review is a kind of really hard and boring work. And we can only say
that the code is much likely with no error. A patch is committed with at
least two persons' work, the patch submitter and the code reviewer.
Sometimes the code is really hard to find errors either by eyes or tests, so
please be more patient. The bugs can be fixed soon after observing.

And I agree with you suggestion on more discussion, so please comment on the
jira pages for issues you think need more discussion and tests.
BTW, I think as the hive community grows, there could be more discussions.
So the first priority issue should be how to enlarge the hive community, and
let more people involved in the discussion of the hive mail-list or jira.