hadoop-hive-dev mailing list archives

From Ashish Thusoo <athu...@facebook.com>
Subject RE: can RCFile* be also exported as a hadoop contrib project?
Date Mon, 15 Jun 2009 13:30:41 GMT
It should be re usable. The work in yahoo/pig is on different line though as Alan explained
to me. They are actually storing the columns in different files (I think they are using the
TFile stuff) rather than having a columnar storage within a block...

Ashish
From: Joydeep Sen Sarma [jssarma@facebook.com]
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2009 2:42 PM
To: hive-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: can RCFile* be also exported as a hadoop contrib project?

Is this columnar format reusable by other folks?

Is it possible to demonstrate the use (in case of simple delimited text data) by writing a
configurable inputformat on top of this that can project out the configured columns?

The reason I am asking is that there is some parallel work going on in yahoo/pig on columnar
format and no one's aware of this format - whereas it should be usable by other people (and
not just Hive).

Comments?