hadoop-hive-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Ashish Thusoo <athu...@facebook.com>
Subject RE: branching Hive and getting to first release
Date Tue, 10 Mar 2009 01:17:55 GMT
For 0.2 we had set a feature freeze date on the 28th of Jan and as I had mentioned in the previous
email, the plan was cut a branch on the last wednesday of every month and then
issue a vote for making it a release once it ran satisfactorily (no blocker bugs) for atleast
2 weeks @ facebook. Accordingly I was hoping that we would limit the changes that would go
into the branch (0.2) in this case to the blocker bugs only but it seems that we had some
feature creep and as a result we switched to using trunk at facebook without giving sufficient
time for 0.2 to stabilize. It also means that perhaps waiting for a month for each release
is too long at this stage at least for FB. If others are in agreement, how about we do the
following going forward..


Cut a branch every other wednesday, only checkin the most ciritcal blocker bugs into the branch
and reserve the features for trunk which will be picked up in the next branch and relegiously
deploy only the versions of the branch at FB. We can start off a vote to make a branch an
official release once we have atleast 2 weeks of run on the branch without any blocker bugs
(i.e. we did not have a need to upgrade the production machines at FB).

We can start off by creating a 0.3 branch this wednesday accordingly...

Once we have an agreement on this we can document this procedure on the wiki and religiously
follow it. Without controlling the tendency of a feature creep it would be difficult to get
a stable version out...

Thoughts?

Ashish



-----Original Message-----
From: Johan Oskarsson [mailto:johan@oskarsson.nu] 
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 2:54 AM
To: hive-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: branching Hive and getting to first release

To be honest I must've missed that 0.2 was branched (I found the email now though), was there
a feature freeze date set?

After branching shouldn't we have moved the non critical issues to 0.3 and pushed for fixing
the remaining bugs in order to release?

That aside, I don't have a strong opinion whether the next release is
0.2 or 0.3, since there hasn't been an Apache release yet. How about setting a feature freeze
date now and take it from there?

/Johan

Joydeep Sen Sarma wrote:
> Hey folks,
> 
> A few of us were chatting earlier today (some Facebook and Cloudera folks) on best approach
to get to a first Hive release.
> 
> While 0.2 has been branched - it seems awkward to base the first release on it. The reason
is twofold:
> 
> -          new changes to trunk since 0.2 have been relatively contained AFAIK (so no
added instability). As evidence - Facebook has reverted to running trunk in production for
the last week or so.
> -          the changes that have gone into trunk since 0.2 are extremely important from
performance perspective. This includes the LazySerDe that Zheng added and upcoming hive-232.
> 
> So one proposal is to branch 0.3 at this point and try to make that first official release
for Hive.
> 
> This does look a little haphazard - and the natural question is whether we can stick
to this (or we end up repeating this once we throw in some more goodies). The feeling is that
this may be a good time - hive-279 has major changes to the hive compiler and branching 0.3
before those changes are checked in gives us a good chance of producing a stable release with
good performance (and the major changes will probably prevent us from repeating this trick
going forward :)).
> 
> What do people think?
> 
> Joydeep
> 


Mime
View raw message