hadoop-hive-dev mailing list archives

From Ashish Thusoo <athu...@facebook.com>
Subject RE: Cutting releases from hive
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2008 22:49:51 GMT
We did see that HBase has closely mirrored its release with hadoop, but that approach ties
our releases closely with hadoop releases. An immediate fallout of that is that if today we
want to create versions for 0.17, 0.18, 0.19 and trunk, we would be creating 3 more branches
and many of the bug fixes that are currently happening would have to be ported to 3 more branches.
That would just create a lot of development overhead. So we were thinking of following a model
where the releases are indepenedent of hadoop but are certified to compile with some set of
versions in hadoop.

Ashish

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Hammerbacher [mailto:hammer@cloudera.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 11:51 AM
To: hive-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Cutting releases from hive

Hey,
Here's another thought: the HBase team initially used their own version numbers, but eventually
started naming versions of HBase after Hadoop versions. It might be worth understanding why
they did so, and perhaps adopting the same policy for Hive. Notably, Zookeeper and Pig do
not follow this convention.

Later,
Jeff