hadoop-hive-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RE: Avoiding mega-patches
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2008 18:35:17 GMT
Ashish Thusoo wrote:
> We will be careful about this in future. We have had 3-4 mega drops
> (including the first one, these mega drops actually contain fixes from a
> whole number of people) and part of the reason was that the turn around
> through hudson and the JIRA was too large for us to be able to swiftly
> deploy the codeand bug fixes into production at facebook (yes, we are
> pretty much running the latest hive code in production here).

The turnaround through Hudson and Jira is a cost of doing business at
Apache.  In a crunch, folks can attach a record of a successful test run
to Jira, but a successful Hudson run is preferred.

Each issue should address a single concern.  The author(s) of a patch
must be clearly identified if they are other than the person who
attaches the patch.  Patches that fix multiple issues should be avoided.

Contributors must demonstrate clear understanding of Apache's ways with
a consistent record of high-quality patches before they can become
committers.  These mega patches are steps away from that goal.

Doug