hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From zhiyuan yang <sjtu....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Pairwise similarity using map reduce
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2016 21:13:07 GMT
This is a standard cartesian product pattern. Although I don’t know how it’s solved in
MapReduce, currently I’m working on
cartesian product in Apache Tez (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEZ-2104). There you
can have
the following computation:

Map1   Map2
    \         /
   Reducer

where Map1 tasks handle splits (say A1,A2) from file1, Map2 tasks handle splits(B1, B2) from
file2, and Reducer tasks got
all combinations of splits generated by Map1 and Map2 (say A1B1, A1B2, A2B1, A2B2).

Mapper only read file once, and their outputs are sent to Reducer multiple times over network.
Also, you can control the speed
of processing by controlling number of reducers.

Thanks!
Zhiyuan

A (398C-Affiliate)" <Paul.A.Zimdars@jpl.nasa.gov>, irds-l@usc.edu

> Hi hadoop users,
>
> I have a set of vectors stored in .txt files on HDFS. Goal is to take every pair of vector
and compute similarity between them.
> 	• We generate pairs of vectors by a python script and give it as a input to MR jobs.
Input file has comma separated path to vector files. "/path/to/vec1, path/to/vec2" .
> 	• Then mapper tasks gets (Path1, Path2) and computes similarity.
> To do this Mapper reads file at Path1 using HDFS API, reads File at Path2 using HDFS
API. So, each file is read many many times due to the pairwise calculation.