hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From sky88088 <sky880883...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: No edits files in dfs.namenode.edits.dir
Date Tue, 24 May 2016 06:46:35 GMT
Hi, Harsh.
The "dfs.namenode.edits.dir" from "hdfs getconf" is "file:///data1/hadoop/name", the same
as "dfs.namenode.name.dir".
However, in the NameNode web UI("namenode:8088/conf"), none of "dfs.namenode.edits.dir" or
"dfs.namenode.name.dir" is set.
In both source, the "hadoop.tmp.dir" is set as "/data1/hadoop/tmp".
It seems strange because "dfs.namenode.name.dir" should be "file://${hadoop.tmp.dir}/dfs/name"
by default, which means "/data1/hadoop/tmp/dfs/name", instead of the path value from "hdfs
getconf"("file:///data1/hadoop/name").
However, only "file:///data1/hadoop/name" directionary can be found in my cluster.

I think Ravi's suggestion make sense.  If NameNode actually persisting edits, it could by
found by "lsof -grep edit", right?
By the way, the version of the cluster is hadoop 2.2.0. I have no idea if this information
helpful.

Thanks

From: harsh@cloudera.com
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 03:33:17 +0000
Subject: Re: No edits files in dfs.namenode.edits.dir
To: sky880883368@hotmail.com; gurmukh.dhillon@yahoo.com; ravihadoop@gmail.com
CC: user@hadoop.apache.org

Are you absolutely certain you are looking at the right directory? The NameNode is designed
to crash if it cannot persist edits (transactions) durably.
The "hdfs getconf" utility checks local command classpaths but your service may be running
over a different configuration directory. If you have access to your NameNode web UI, try
visiting its /conf URL and you can see the actual directories configured for the NameNode's
images and edit log.
P.s. The config dfs.namenode.edits.dir usually also defaults to the value of dfs.namenode.name.dir.