hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Lin Zhao <...@exabeam.com>
Subject Is it possible to turn on data node encryption without kerberos?
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2016 20:36:44 GMT
I've been trying to secure block data transferred by HDFS. I added below to hdfs-site.xml and
core-site xml to the data node and name node and restart both.

<property>
  <name>dfs.encrypt.data.transfer</name>
  <value>true</value>
</property>

<property>
  <name>hadoop.rpc.protection</name>
  <value>privacy</value>
</property>

When I try to put a file from the hdfs command line shell, the operation fails with "connection
is reset" and I see following from the datanode log:

"org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode: Failed to read expected encryption handshake
from client at /172.31.36.56:48271. Perhaps the client is running an older version of Hadoop
which does not support encryption"

I am able to reproduce this on two different deployments. I was following https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.7.2/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common/SecureMode.html#Authentication,
but didn't turn on kerberos authentication. No authentication works in my environment. Can
this be the reason the handshake fails?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Lin Zhao