hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Henning Blohm <henning.bl...@zfabrik.de>
Subject Best way to pass configuration properties to MRv2 jobs
Date Thu, 21 Apr 2016 19:15:02 GMT
Hi,

in our Hadoop 2.6.0 cluster, we need to pass some properties to all
Hadoop processes so they can be referenced using ${...} syntax in
configuration files. This works reasonably well using
HADOOP_NAMENODE_OPTS and the like.

For Map/Reduce jobs however, we need to speficy not only

mapred.child.java.opts

to pass system properties, in addition we need to set

yarn.app.mapreduce.am.command-opts

for anything that is referenced in Hadoop configuration files.

In the end however almost all the properties passed are available as
environment variables as well.

Hence my question:

* Is it possible to use reference environment variables in configuration
files directly?
* Does anybody know of a simpler way to make sure some system properties
are _always_ set for all Yarn processes?

Thanks,
Henning