hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From David Watzke <da...@watzke.cz>
Subject datanode directory structure mess-up
Date Sat, 05 Mar 2016 14:47:38 GMT
Hi list,

I ran into trouble because I accidentally usedthis tool
https://github.com/killerwhile/volume-balancerwith Hadoop 2.6.0 (just
like that page warns you not to -- I used it successfully before and
didn't think to check that page before using it again) and it messed up
my datadirs because as I understand it that software now makes invalid
assumptions about what directory moves can it do. Now the datanode logs
are filled with these:

WARN org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.VolumeScanner: I/O error
while finding block
BP-680964103-A.B.C.D-1375882473930:blk_5822441067008155275_0 on volume
/xyz/dfs/dn

What can I do to fix this? I don't know what files/dirs were moved and
from where but is there a reasonable way out of this? Such as editing
VERSION file to a previous version when DN is down so that it fixes the
layout by itself - would that work?

Please note that I've lost the other replica due to a filesystem error
so I can't just ignore it. This is literally my only option to recover
some missing blocks.

Thanks,

--
David Watzke