hadoop-hdfs-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Schulz <danielschulz2...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop on premise versus cloud
Date Mon, 26 Oct 2015 15:23:47 GMT
Hi Michael,

Thank you for your message.

To European customers data privacy is a major concern. So they are quiet reluctant to use
pubic clouds — even iff their data will be encrypted. This is one reason may organisations
strongly prefer on-premise clouds to public ones. So companies use public clouds, other plan
to migrate to a private one, but most major companies do not want to rely on a third party
when it comes to company data.

On the other hand, latency is lower due to all processes running in your local network. But
throughput may mitigate that for production data loads.

However, the major advantage of public clouds if the relatively small cost to get started.
AWS and others are ready to go — whereas a private cloud needs to be installed and later
maintained.

Hope this helps a little.

Kind regards, Daniel.

> On 26 Oct 2015, at 16:01, Leonard, Michael <Michael.Leonard@opco.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I work at a large financial institution. I’m exploring deploying Hadoop and I’m trying
to understand why I would deploy on premise when the cloud is faster and easier. What are
the pros/cons of each? How does pricing compare between on premise and cloud deployments?

> Any color would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.
>
> Sincerely,
> Michael
>

> This communication and any attached files may contain information that is confidential
or privileged. If this communication has been received in error, please delete or destroy
it immediately. Please go to www.opco.com/EmailDisclosures <http://www.opco.com/EmailDisclosures>